Steps If You Encounter a Safety Situation
1. Always, anytime you are immediately threatened, or even if you just feel uneasy about a situation you are in, please call 9-1-1, immediately!
2. Following a suspicious situation, real estate agents should always contact the Omaha Police Department and report the incident, even if it is not threatening at the time. Call 402-444-4877, or go to the City of Omaha’s Incident Form to leave a report. These reports are monitored 24/7. When all agents do this, the police are able to tie incidents together for possible violations, or to identify individuals with a history of problems. Without the report they have nothing. Law enforcement has emphasized to us that your reports are necessary and welcome. The information can then be channeled to the right individual within the department, or across the region.
3. If you have a potential email scam, or other internet-based scam, go to the Internet Crime’s Complaint Center and file a complaint.
4. If you feel other agents are at risk, after you have reported the incident to the police, please contact the OABR office at 402-619-5550 or email to email@example.com with details and your contact information. We appreciate you letting us know, but please contact 9-1-1 for an immediate threat, or report the non-urgent incident to the police before letting us know. Unfortunately, the association is not set up to act instantly in all situations.
5. Update the police and the OABR Office with additional information as it becomes available.
It is the Omaha Area Board of REALTORS® goal to provide members with access to updated safety information, keeping REALTORS® safe while frequently meeting with strangers in public and private locations. REALTORS® face more on-the-job risks than many other business professionals.
Your REALTOR® Safety Tools
If you ever feel you are in immediate danger, call 911. Agents should NEVER meet unknown customers alone. Work together, stay safe!
How To Get Involved
All OABR Members are welcome and encouraged to sit in on a Safety Committee Meeting! Meeting times are listed below and on the OABR Calendar.
Upcoming Committee Meetings
The Omaha Area Board of REALTORS® Safety Committee Meetings are typically held quarterly in the OABR Boardroom. Always check below or the OABR Calendar for any date or location changes.
Thursday, November 5 at 2:30 pm | ZOOM